Monday, February 11, 2013

Blabberize

After viewing the summary that Sam and Liz created on www.Blabberize.com, I started thinking about engaging ways that I could use this web 2.0 tool in my classroom. 

In third grade, we are often talking about the point of view of the person telling the story.  I introduce my students to books like, Jack and the Beanstock told from the perspective of Jack and then I read them, Trust Me, Jack's Beanstolk Stinks, which if from the giant's point of view.  Eric Braun has written a few other books from the antagonist's point of view as well including:
Believe Me Goldilocks Rocks
Honestly, Little Red Riding Hood Is Rotten
Seriously, Cinderella Is So Annoying

If you haven't read any of these books, you should check them out!  They are along the lines of The True Story of The Three Little Pigs, which many people are familiar with.

It was thinking that it would be neat to find a picture of an antagonist from another story to upload on Blabberize and allow the students to write what that character might have to say.  Then I would allow students to record their voice into Blabberize to make the character talk.  Getting students to think about stories from a different point of view helps them grow as readers and writers.  I would also connect it to real life when people get into arguments, it is helpful to try to see the situation from the other person's point of view.

If there was time, it would be fun to take this further and allow my students to create a writing project, where they would get to pick a classic children's story to write from a different character's point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment